Elon Musk's Tesla has the most advanced autopilot system in the world. The quotes below highlight his thoughts on autopilot in general, and the direction the system is heading.
Feel free to let me know in the comments what your favorite quote is. Enjoy!
- “We expect that worldwide [self-driving] regulatory approval will require something on the order of 6 billion miles.”
- "In cities where demand [of rides in Tesla's self-driving cars] exceeds the supply of customer-owned cars, Tesla will operate its own fleet."
- "When true self-driving is approved by regulators, it will mean that you will be able to summon your Tesla from anywhere."
- "Once Autopilot is approximately 10 times safer than the US vehicle average, the beta label will be removed."
- "Current fleet learning is happening at just over 3 million miles (5 million km) per day."
- "All Tesla vehicles will have the hardware necessary to be fully self-driving with fail-operational capability"
- "It would no more make sense to disable Tesla's Autopilot... than it would to disable autopilot in aircraft..."
- “People may outlaw driving cars because it’s too dangerous. You can’t have a person driving a two-ton death machine."
Cover photo from Tesla